For me, organization and pre-planning things makes everything easier. I found this website where another Mom had put together a "home school" curriculum with a theme for each week. I LOVED this idea. We do a lot of the same things each week and this allowed me to gear all of these everyday things into a theme. The mom's suggestion was that week 1 should be cows. Ugh. I cannot do a week of cows. So, this week we did Pirates. Arg!
This is our work poster. Pirates were the theme. Buccaneer the vocabulary word. This week was also the letter A, number 1, shape of an X and the color red.
Henry was WAY into his pirate character. He found a sword, a gun, talked with an accent, made a pirate ship and dubbed Mow the pirate king. He really took to it.
Bridget was pretty good about it, but eventually we used her hat to make her a pirate queen dress and she dubbed herself Pirate Poo-Poo.
We also went geocaching. Thankfully, there were two caches within walking distance of home. Here are the children declaring this cache as pirate booty!

One day when we had the car we headed to the nature museum which has a planetarium. We checked out star charts (navigation), shark skeletons and cave markings (for hiding booty). Henry also found a skull that was very pirate-like to him and insisted on a photo.
When I was talking about shapes and showing them the letters A and number 1 I could see Henry thinking very hard. Later, we went downstairs to the chalkboard and he asked me to write his name. He said, "oh, it is just lines and shapes!" and copied it. You could almost hear the click when he understood. I was so proud. The only thing that made me happier was when he showed Ben and told him, "Now I can get my own library card!"
Goodbye Pirate week - Next week.....Broadway!!!
One day when we had the car we headed to the nature museum which has a planetarium. We checked out star charts (navigation), shark skeletons and cave markings (for hiding booty). Henry also found a skull that was very pirate-like to him and insisted on a photo.
ARG! Loved pirate week. Cant wait to see pictures of broadway week!
ReplyDelete