Friday, February 18, 2011

Library Card

To me there are some things in life that are so freeing, so liberating that they widen your world in a momentous way. Learning to ride your bike, getting your drivers license....and getting your own library card. Henry has been working on earning his library card for nearly a year - I made him jump through a couple of hoops - and this week he did it.

He had to write his whole name and the librarian and the 16 people behind us in line we exceedingly kind while they waited.
Got it!
He took his card right over to the bank of library computers. You are not allowed to use them unless you have a library card. He went up to a huge (seriously, huge) group of middle school children and told them he got his card and asked how he could get a computer. This social bravery is more impressive since he was wearing a pair of Bridget's powder-blue stretch pants. Honestly, this kid inherited Ben's fantastic self-esteem. One child was so kind and gave Henry his last 15 scheduled minutes. Immediately, Henry wanted to put things on hold so I could collect them for him during the week when he is at school.

Then, he said, "Mom, I have my library card so I am going to look around and I will meet you later." He went right over to non-fiction, found a librarian, asked where the space books were and filled his bag FULL of books.
His bag was so full of books. I tried to carry them for him but he insisted that they were his. In the end, his bag ripped (due to weight) and it took all four of us to get his precious cargo home safely. It was awesome.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of Henry and Mom for this wonderful experience. I can remember when my children were finally able to put all the letters of their name on that very small card. It was a wonderful time. Congratulations to Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading and re-reading this post. My little guy is getting to be such a big guy!! Cant wait to come and see you all!

    ReplyDelete