Friday, July 30, 2010

Craft-a-palooza

Today was craft-a-palooza!!! We started out the day with painting stations outside - thank goodness the heat finally broke! Henry and Bridget were totally into the painting but Emmett was mostly interested in painting the garage.

Bridget working on her "B." My original plan was for them to cut out their letters but when you apply a nice, thick coat of paint like my kiddos do they never dry. No cutting today!
Henry has always despised art and suddenly in the last 3-6 months he has really come to love it. I am so glad!

After the painting we took an exploratory walk around the neighborhood for some natural elements to turn into art. It was tricky distinguishing between "found" objects and just plan old taking decorative things from people's yards, but they were quick to see the difference. Once around the block and about an hour later we had a real pile of treasures.
We painted the rocks and turned them into animals, used the pine cones to stamp and stuck the leaves to our work.

Then it was snack time.

While I made lunch the kids worked on spelling their names. Bridget kept scrambling hers when I tried to take a picture but Henry was very happy to let me take photos of his work. We also worked on counting objects but by this time Emmett was terribly tired and fussy.

After lunch both Henry and Emmett collapsed and napped - boys apparently find crafting exhausting. Bridget and I carried on by doing 14 puzzles and painting some more.


After Henry's tiny nap he was refreshed and decided to fuse nature and objects into this awesome art project in the yard. He directed Bridget on where to put the clips and kept saying over and over, "Oh yes, this is booooootiful. Daddy is going to think this is GORGEOUS."

I had so much fun playing with them today!

1 comment:

  1. Nana is so proud of the work you are all doing. It reminds me of how much fun you children were when you were that age...not that I am complaining! I love my grown-up children so very much. You have all the instincts of a born teacher but perhaps I have said that before. LOL Great job on the teachers part and wonderful art work on the grandbabies side. Now I am going to see if I can print these pictures out for my book. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete