Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Avengers

The superhero movie "The Avengers" is filming around Cleveland this month and the kids and I went downtown to check out the action. It was awesome! I love superheroes and have since I was a kid. I might have been a little more enthusiastic than the kids but they played along for me.

We got to see a whole city block that we had JUST walked down completely destroyed (by Captain America, Thor and Aliens...allegedly). Since we went on a Monday nice and early the people on set were very nice and talked to the kids about the explosives and sound effects and all the extras talked to us. It was a blast!

Here are the three of them in front of a demolished car. So cool! This and the extra NY fire trucks were their favorite things.
Here are all of them pretending to be superheroes fighting. Emmett is He-Man, Henry is Spiderman and Bridget is Skeletor. Can you guess what 80's cartoon we got from the library?
East 9th street. They turned it into New York City and down the street the city center has been staged to look like Germany. It was really interesting to see the things they changed. The posters, cars, trucks - everything was New York. Apparently, Aliens never invade Cleveland or Canada - only poor NYC.
Rubble! I was desperate to touch it to see if it was real rock or Styrofoam or something but there was a pretty strict no-touch policy.
Here you can see Cleveland in the background.
Marvel!
We even got to see them film two takes of machine gun fire and screaming. Emmett thought it was drums and the lady didn't like the music. I was thrilled and I think the kids will get a kick out of telling people later that they saw the movie being filmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment