As a mother I try to be very equal in my pictures and updates of my children's lives. I know that sometimes people might think I have a favorite but the truth is that my children are really so much the same and still so very different that there is no comparing them. Still, I know it is important for a child's self esteem and sense of worth to know that their Mom and Dad love them all equally and to project to the world that you value their accomplishments. But, there is one person in our house that doesn't get enough praise or attention: Ben!
In the last year and a half Ben has managed to finish his medical training (10 years post-college!) and pass all of his medical boards making him one of about 200 board certified pediatric physiatrists in the United States. And, he got a job with Cleveland Clinic. I remember when he was job hunting and so many big names wanted him but he picked Cleveland Clinic because it was a great fit for him AND for our family. Whenever people ask me his speciality I am so proud to tell them what he does. And I know Ben does it well because he knows what it is like to have a chronic illness himself and to have a family member with one. He always sees the big picture. And, when he sees a lack of service he tries to fill it. Like starting a clinic for adults with disabilities who have pediatric needs or taking an intense 6 month training course in acupuncture to help his pain patients.
And no matter how long a day he has had - a short 10 hours or a really long one - he walks through our door ready to do whatever we need him to do. Story time, homework, clothes laid out, lunches packed - whatever I or the kids need him to do Ben is ready. He never comes home grumpy or tells the kids that he is too tired to play. Never. Dr. Daddy is always on call for any injury. And, even though he deserves many many trips and vacations the only fishing he has gotten to do in the last year was an unknowingly illegal jaunt to a local pond for Father's Day. One day I am going to take him on the fly fishing vacation of his dreams! He deserves it.
Anyone that knows us knows I think Ben is the perfect spouse so I don't need to elaborate there. I just wanted to take the time to recognize my sweetie and all the great things he does.
Hot Damn and time someone acknowledged our son-in-law. Never have we been to your home that he has not knocked himself out cooking for our pleasure. I know you do all the prep work like the loving wife you are. You do a great job making your man look good. He may not travel extensively or take expensive vacations but his conversation never lacks for topics of interest. His wife and children come first. That alone gladdens my heart but to see the respect he shows my husband and the intense care and concern he shows to his sisters- in-law and to his brother-in-law just puts him in a class above all others. You did us a great favor adding Ben to our family. A man I am proud to call Son. Love to you all. I am so proud of our Ohio family.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI feel about the same way that Ann does. I always wish that Ben and I had more time to spend together. I feel this as deeply as the fact that I haven't had enough time to spend with David. I hope that this summer we can all get together and just spend a day doing the things that we all enjoy. I am proud of all my family and Ben is surely just as another son to me. Now I have 2 sons and 4 daughters. The grand kids are in their own category. I couldn't be happier. DAD
ReplyDeleteJust so you know, the messages I removed were copies of the first one. Sometimes my finger stutters on the click it button. :)
ReplyDeleteI could not have chosen a better brother in law! Ben is such an important piece to our family that we would no longer be complete without him!! I love him so much and I am so proud of all that he is. I LOVE YOU BK!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd now I want a highlight on Molly Mack Katholi. Mom Carrie and I will put it together. ;-)
I think you are both pretty wonderful. I'm so lucky to have you both in my life, and couldn't even imagine it without you both. Hugs to you all. B
ReplyDelete